Tutorial is for Photoshop.
1. I opened a new window with this template that I made.
2. I opened another window with this image of Ashley Olsen, and resized it. Then I added it into about 1/2 of the black part. I just copied and pasted. Desatuarate and sharpen the image as needed.
3. Now I added a purple layer over Ashley and set it to Lighten 100%
4. Then I wanted to put some kind of pattern/flower on the other part of the black section of the icon. So I found this picture of a flower on gettyimages.com and resized it. Then I copy and pasted it into my icon. Since the purple in the flower didn't match the purple color on Ashley, I duplicated the flower image and set it to multiply 100%. Then I sharpened as needed.
5. Then I decided to add three random lines, by picking colors in the flower, and Viola!
Please do not copy this tutorial word for word. Be creative and come up with your version!
I'd love to see what you guys make with this!