Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Someone is going to kill me for this

Because I know that 567,785,987 people a day ask about rounded borders. But honestly, the only tutorial that I can find in the archives is this one and I don't understand what she means when she says to invert the highlighted rounded rectangle, or even how she got it highlighted in the first place. I've also gone back about five or six pages in the daily entries and haven't found a tutorial despite its being so commonly asked about.

I'm using ps7 and there is no rounded rectangle highlighting tool. There is a tool that will create a filled-in rounded rectangle and I know it can be used to create a highlighted rounded rectangle, but I'm not sure how to do that. So if someone could point me to a tutorial that would teach me how to do this, I would appreciate it.


( 14 comments — Leave a comment )
May. 1st, 2006 10:03 pm (UTC)

i'm not sure it will work for you but it's all i got
May. 1st, 2006 11:31 pm (UTC)
Thanks! That one helped me a lot. :) Putting it in the memories for sure.
May. 1st, 2006 11:31 pm (UTC)
May. 1st, 2006 10:17 pm (UTC)
I don't use PS7, but if there's a tool that will give you a filled-in rounded rectangle, is there one that would just give you an outline of a rounded rectangle? (On my program you can choose between Stroked, Filled, & Stroked & Filled. Stroked would be the outline.) This may not look perfect, but you might want to try creating a stroked rounded rectangle around your image (antialias unchecked). Use your Magic Wand tool to select the space outside of the rectangle (or select the center & invert if your border ends up being in pieces), then flood fill it with the color you want. As a fellow icon-maker without a rounded rectangle selection tool, this is how I would do it.
May. 1st, 2006 10:26 pm (UTC)
If you make a selection go to selection/modify/rounded edges then set the amount of pixels you want it to round, I usually use about 5. You now have a rounded rectangle selection and to make the border go to selection/invert and fill that selection with the color you want for your boarder.
May. 1st, 2006 10:47 pm (UTC)
What I do is I create a rounded rectangle using the shape tool on a new layer in any color (it doesn't matter whatsoever), then go to the layers pallete and control + click the layer with the rectangle on it. Then I go to Select >> Inverse so that I have the rounded corners of the image selected. Now, click back to the layer with the icon on it, and press delete. This will make the corners transparent so that the icon looks rounded. If you want to have smooth corners, don't try to save as a transparent gif because the edges will be jagged. Instead try put a white layer beneath the layer with your icon on it. This way the round-bordered icon will have a white background, but still the rounded edge effect.

Erm... sorry if that was unclear. Hope it helped though!
May. 1st, 2006 10:50 pm (UTC)
I thought I'd add that if you want the border to be transparent, you can try saving as a transparent PNG, although the icon won't look any good in Internet Explorer (the edges will be jagged, just like if you save as a GIF).
Dec. 27th, 2006 05:01 am (UTC)
I know this is really old, but I wanted to say thank you.
Dec. 29th, 2006 08:55 pm (UTC)
You're welcome! It's nice to know my advice helped someone out.
May. 1st, 2006 11:24 pm (UTC)
May. 2nd, 2006 04:52 am (UTC)
Two other methods of making icons with rounded corners:
Oct. 5th, 2006 11:57 am (UTC)
Just thought I should comment and say the second link leads to a "HTTP 403 (Forbidden)" error.

Not sure if its just locked or something else is wrong, but I thought you should know ^^
Oct. 5th, 2006 05:14 pm (UTC)
Thanks for telling me about that. It appears the author of that tutorial has done some housekeeping on her LJ which has rendered that post unavailable. :/
( 14 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

August 2016


Powered by LiveJournal.com