Level (1-10): 4
1. Ok, so start with your picture. Crop it however you want, and slap it on a 100x100 size square. NOTE: If your image's background isn't too dark, you can cut out your image and give it a black background.
2. You can change the coloring if you really want to, even though there's really no need to. I didn't.
Now it's time to desaturate. You can go to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation, and enter -100 for Saturation. Or you can simply press Ctrl+Shift+U. Whatever you do, you should have something like this.
3. WARNING. CURVES LAYER AHEAD.
Go to Image>Adjustments>Curves. What you should want is for the image to blend into the background. Put in Input: 94 and Output: 27. It may be changed, depending on the image. Here's what you should have:
4. Little too dark, huh? Go to Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast. Up the Brightness by about +17.
5. Ta Da! Here's where you can add touchups. I colored over the light stripe in her hair, added a text brush, and a red gradient. You may add whatever your heart desires.
<3 This was my first tut! Please tell me how I did, and I would love to see your finished works.