in seven (7) easy steps!
* used Photoshop
* fully translatable
1. Duplicate your base, and sharpen if necessary. Set to Screen 30%
2. Create a new layer, and fill with a light red/dark salmon like #FA595C and set to Luminosity 20%
3. Create a new layer, fill with black and set to Colour Burn 10%
4. Duplicate your base, drag it to the top, desaturate and set to Soft Light 50 – 60%
5. Create a new layer, and fill with light blue #B7E8FE set to Darken 50%
6. Create a new layer, fill with blue-grey #A3B9CF and set to Multiply 10%
7. Create another new layer, and fill it with light blue #E4F2FF and set to Linear Burn 20%
This is my take on the ever-so-popular burnt blue look, haha. A bit different, but whatever. I find that this colouring works best on closeups of people (like Lady GaGa!) or something with a really strong focus.
If you want a more intense blue, I suggest increasing the opacity on the Luminosity, Darken or Linear Burn layers.
Here are my results with other icons:
Hope you enjoy it!
ETA: There is now a .psd link in the comments, if needed.