let's go from: to or
this was created in psp7
1. crop your base to basic icon size, or in this icon's case, 96x96.
2. duplicate your base and set the duplicate to softlight.
3. new raster layer. fill with #000040, a dark blue i usually use
4. new raster layer. fill with #85DFE2, a light blue. set blend mode to softlight.
5. duplicate the light blue softlight layer and set opacity to 50.
6. merge all layers. (layers>merge>merge all flatten)
7. duplicate and set blend mode to burn.
8. maybe i'm blind, but it looked a bit dark to me, so i duplicated the burn layer and changed the blend mode to softlight.
this icon was from my latest icon set and as i was making the icons, i realised that sometimes the icon came out too dark or too blue. sometimes i did away with the second light blue softlight layer, sometimes i set its opacity to 100.
you can also add a pink softlight layer (#FF97B4):
the trick is to experiment. every picture is different and results may vary.
if you have any questions or doubts, feel free to ask! =D