How to go from:
No curves, just colour layers.
1. Prepare your base. Crop, sharpen, auto contrast, whatever you need to do.
2. Duplicate your base, set it to screen.
3. Add a new layer, #FFCC00. Set it to Multiply at 36%.
4. Add a new layer, #011634. Set it to Exclusion at 100%.
5. Duplicate your exclusion layer.
6. Add this gradient by me, and set it to (Color) Burn.
7. Add a black rectangle, and merge.
8. Add text and you're done! :)
I'd LOVE to see what you guys make!
Note: If your icon is too light, take out the screen layer.
If your icon is too dark, add a screen layer.
If your icon it too yellow, reduce the opacity on the last Burn layer.
If your icon is not yellow enough, up the opacity on the Multiply layer, or duplicate the burn layer and set it to 50%.