Made in PSP X, may not be translatable to other programs.
Base by: xnoangelx
1. start with your base.
2. duplicate your base and set it to screen 70%.
3. duplicate your base again and set to softlight 50%(bring to the top)
4. set this texture by wash_when_dirty (lj): to multiply 100%. Position it so that the grey areas of the texture are on the focus of your icon so that the focus does not get too dark.
5. merge all layers.
6. duplicate the new base then go to effects browser, click on brightness and contrast. Then click on the sub-folder: Highlight/Midtone/Shadows, select Highlight/Midtone/Shadows Saturation Accent and click the apply button. set this layer to normal 88%.
7. merge the 2 layers.
8. duplicate the new base, go to adjust>hue and saturation>hue/saturation/lightness (or simply press Shift+H), set the saturation to 30(you should play around with this so as to suit your picture better), then go to effects browser, click on brightness and contrast. Then click on the sub-folder: Clarify, select Clarify Medium and click the apply button.
9. use the selection tool and cut the texture: by cool_graphix (lj) into a thin rectangular strip. copy and paste it onto the icon then position it wherever you like.
10. go to effects>effects browser>effects>3d effects>drop shadow>drop shadow factory defaults. apply this to the rectangular strip.
11. merge all layers and you are done :)
This was my 1st time writing a tutorial and it took quite some time to do it so comments are very much appreciated.
My apologies if this tutorial is messy.