I used PS7 but I'm pretty sure it can be translated in different programs.
We're going from to
1. Ok first off, duplicate your layer and set to screen at an opacity of 50% or whatever you prefer.
2. Make a new color fill layer #032C44 and set it to exclusion.
3. Make yet another new color fill layer and fill it with #485791. Set it to soft light.
4. Then make a color balance layer. Set it to midtones: -37, -16,-24
5. New color fill layer: #83A3C5 set it to color burn. Opacity 50% or to your own liking.
6. You're done. Add brushes,text,etc.
The brush I used for this icon was taken from http://www.rebel-heart.net/brushes
Comments are greatly appreciated! Experiment with it as much as you want and show me your results.